29 November 2005

Chinese Waves Hat


Phew, the third baby hat in a week! When I found out my sister only had one hat for her London winter baby, well, I had to do something! He was born this morning (well, 10pm 28th November, which was 9 am 29th in Australia), and I'm posting the "Hat Pack" tomorrow.

I love the Chinese Waves pattern. It's fast, easy, and effective. I had to adapt it to work in the round, which took a little trial and error.

Classic Chinese Waves is :
Row 1 : Knit (right side of knitting)
Row 2 : * Knit 1, Slip 1 (purlwise) * across, ending with Knit 1
Row 3 : Knit
Row 4 : Knit 2 * Slip 1 (purlwise), Knit 1 * across, ending with Knit 1

To work in the round on circular / double-point needles, and have the pattern show on the outside of the hat, this is what I did :

Row 1 : Knit
Row 2 : * Purl 1, Slip 1 (knitwise) * to end of row
Row 3 : Knit
Row 4 : * Slip 1 (knitwise), Purl 1 * to end of row

I found it useful to place a row marker (I just used a piece of orange wool) at the start of each Row 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Printfriendly